The Great Debate – Germany vs. Australia
Kooyong Tennis Club, Glenferrie Road, Kooyong
Thursday 11th August 12.30 pm to 4.00pm
The Vernier Foundation, part of the Vernier Society, was established to encourage more young people into careers in Australian engineering and manufacturing.
We are inviting young scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians to participate with Society members in an open debate that promotes Australian manufacturing.
Germany’s manufacturing % of GDP is above 20% and contributes significantly to its’ position as the world’s 3rd largest exporter in the world. While Australian manufacturing contributes less than 10% of GDP and Exports. Both political parties are stressing the importance of STEM education (in Germany it is MINT – Mathematics, IT, Natural sciences and technology) but the two education systems have very different approaches to feeding the manufacturing industries.
The expert panel will explain and explore the two systems and answer questions posed by the audience. Our panel consists of:
- Dr. Andreas Kelling, Director of Steinbeis University Berlin
- Dr. Alan Montague of RMIT University
- Dr. Anne Hellstedt of Melbourne University and Engineers Australia
- Jason Bouyer, Head of Learning for Festo (a German multinational)
- Xiaoyu Wang, Software engineer at ANCA
- Patrick Docherty, a young engineer studying at Swinburne University
The Foundation and the Society will provide sponsored places to young people and so we ask you to invite 2 or more young people to support event. It is also an ideal event to invite your colleagues and acquaintances.